Heritage
Home > Heritage
- Heritage
The Calcutta Ladies Golf Club (C.L.G.C.) one of the oldest ladies golf clubs in the world, was instituted and inaugurated by twelve lady members on the afternoon of May 7, 1891. A committee of ladies was formed to control and manage the affairs of the club. The original clubhouse was a canvas tent erected at the cost of Rs. 3000/- subscribed by Lady Curzon wife of the then Viceroy of India, Lady Frazer wife of the then Lieutenant Governor of Bengal, and other lady members of the club. A sum of Rs. 250/- was also contributed by the Calcutta Golf Club (later the Royal Calcutta Golf Club). In the year 1931, a wooden structure was built on wheels and rails to comply with the rules which do not permit a permanent structure to be built in the Maidan. By the year 1953 the membership of the club had swelled to 433 and extensions had to be added to the club house. Thereafter, washrooms, dressing rooms, a catering wing with a bar, and other facilities were added from time to time.
The first All India Ladies Amateur Golf Championship was organized by the CLGC at Calcutta in 1905 and a silver trophy, known as the Walker Trophy, was presented to the winner by Mr. Walker himself. The club continued to hold the championship annually till on December 26, 1969, the IGULS (Indian Golf Union Ladies Section), affiliated to the Ladies golf Union of the UK, was created at the initiative of the CLGC, and it was decided to hold the championship by rotation at Calcutta, Delhi, Bombay and other prominent golf centres of India. For this purpose the CLGC made over the Walker Trophy to the IGULS. In the year 1970, it was a matter of great pride for the CLGC when Ms Anjani Desai became the first Indian lady to win the Walker Trophy at the All India Ladies Amateur Golf Championship organized by the CLGC at Calcutta.